Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Antique Tibetan Needle Holders

These antique Tibetan Needle Holders are a favorite item which I look for on every trip to Nepal. They are made of Sterling Silver and run 4 to 5" long and I am fortunate enough to own 8 of them. They have a loop to be worn on the waist so a woman would have handy access to a needle during her busy workday.
I love the designs and some of them have a turquoise or coral stone. All of them need a polish but I hate to touch them.
I purchase them in Bouda, a town on the outskirts of Kathmandu with a huge Tibetan colony. They are drawn there because of the huge Stupa which is several hundred years old. They have flourished, built guest houses and businesses and are supporting at least 28 monastaries the last time I counted. I spent many happy months volunteering in the schools in Boudha.
The leather flap pulls down from the bottom which is where the needles are stored.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home