Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Jacket Class in Virginia

The real reason for my travels to the Washington area was to present a three day jacket class to the Waterford Weaving Guild in Springfield, Virginia. The class was held in a lovely empty town house owned by a relative of one of the group who was gracious enough to offer us the space. We had lovely fall weather all three days.
Everyone found their own little corner where they could work and set up their machine. On the wall is my explanation of where to put interfacing drawn on huge post it notes which don't harm the wall. Most people cut and fit several muslins.
The doors to the patio outside the dining room furnished wonderful light on the sunny days.

My clothes on a rack in the hall. There were also muslins to try on for size for the patterns I provided. The most popular jackets were the butterfly jacket, the quilters jacket and the bog coat.
The empty den made a nice room for ironing and cutting out patterns. My half size mannequin is on the left.

Having a kitchen was a huge plus. And of course we had to have snacks to give us energy....or something.
The little curve in the hallway provided a nice space for a cutting table. Since this was a group of weavers the fabric for jackets was usually hand woven which provided lots of challenges. I am eagerly awaiting photos of finished jackets.


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home