Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

My 2007 Bernina Fashion Show Outfit

One of the nice perks of entering an outfit in the Bernina Fashion Show is the fact that after the show the wonderful coordinator, Marcia Barker, sends you a CD with all the poses of your outfit on a professional model. My dress is made of hand beaded heavy mesh, lined and banded with silk dupioni. I made the diamond clasp as I couldn't find one I liked and constructed the dress by hand as it seemed easier to me than plucking all those beads out of the seams. The model is wearing the hat at rather a jauntier angle than I actually had in mind. The skirt is pleated silver lame. And the dress ends in a short train to echo the coat.
The coat hat and muff are made of Hoffman cotton batik, scrunched and heavily stitched and beaded. The band of the coat and hat consists of a fringe made from several different yarns and silk ribbons constructed on a hairpin lace loom.
The coat lining is a jewelry print...to correspond with the "diamond" theme of the show. The photographer couldn't decide if the skirt was supposed to be worn high or at the waist so they took photos of both views. Not bad but it makes the skirt a little short.

The coat has a little train in back. I was aiming at a very 30's look. The shoulder has another smaller beaded diamond with jeweled ribbons and diamonds at the end constructed from silver mylar.


Fabric closeup. You can see the stitching and cording, crystals and a row of beads toward the right.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home