Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Story Cloths of Bali by Joseph Fischer

This is a beautiful book by Joseph Fischer who describes his 200 story cloth collection from Bali. According to the author, the embroideries are crafted by women of the Jembrana and Buleleng districts of western and northern Bali to be used as offerings in "rituals and celebrations connected to Hindu religious beliefs and practices." Sadly, as in many cultures, these cloths are not being made anymore.

The stories they told were usually of morality, humor and the triumph over adversity. Many of the tales involved the classical story of Ramayana.

Or even clowns.



I purchased my copy from the Folk Art Museum in Santa Fe.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home