Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Monday, December 21, 2009

Panajachel Guatemala - The trip ends



All good things must come to an end. After five days of enjoying the warmth and sunshine it was time to go back to the cold north. This is the painting in my hotel room.

A block up the street is a really nice vegetarian restaurant. I like to stop in once in awhile for their lentil soup. Its really enough for a meal. I love the little contiment dish set they serve with it although I don't dare sample much of it. The two dishes on the right are quite spicy. The beautiful pottery is handmade in one of the local villages. It is sold in that town and now in several shops in Panajachel.
I am always amazed at the number of tuk tuks in any one town. A tuk-tuk is a small passenger vehicle that resembles a three-wheeled motorcycle with a metal or canvas frame. A bench seat in back holds passengers—sometimes more than you’d ever believe!

Tuk-tuks originated in India, and are most prevalent in Bangkok, Thailand and surrounding areas. They are now a popular mode of transportation in Guatemala.



Only just introduced in 2001 there are now way over 8000 of them all over the country in large and small villages. Antigua for example has over 200 of them. They are very convenient for me when I am carrying large loads as they only charge 5 quetzals a trip in Panajachel. (about 65 cents)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home