Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Friday, January 29, 2010

The Alebrijes Have a New Home

My Alebrijes have a home. I don't have a shelf anywhere in the house tall enough for them so they are living on top of a china cabinet in the dining room. On each side are "fake" opium pipes from Vietnam. And on the wall is a four part mother of pearl screen also from Vietnam.

They were joined by a monkey I purchased 10 years ago from a famous artist in Arrazola. It's holding a bunch of bananas and has a very long tail. It had been living in seclusion on the top of another china cabinet.

Unfortunately that meant that four inside painted glass balls from China were displaced. Now they have to find a home in turn.
I made probably 10 to 12 trips to China between 1993 and probably 2005 and bought these balls on a majority of the trips. I looked for them on my last trip and couldn't find them anywhere. I was able to find smaller inside painted pieces but never liked those as well.
They are crystal globes with the insides carefully drilled out. Then an artist carefully paints them with tiny brushes. I have seen them do this in fancy shops but am always stunned by the quality of the work given the conditions. This one is the signs of the Zodiac.
Court gentlemen and ladies. My favorites are tigers and dragons and have probably 8 of them.
The white streak on the red is from my flash.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home