Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Sunday at Dempster Grove Campground

On Sunday I picked up a classmate from when I went to school in Mexico, N.Y. and headed out to Dempster Campground for the Sunday Service and lunch with several other friends from Mexico. The campground is between Oswego and Mexico and my paternal grandparents used to live just up the road in New Haven.


The choir singing in the chapel.

Listed as number 401 on the UMC Register of Historic Sites, Dempster Grove Christian Campground was founded in 1875 and has been offering a summer retreat here every year since then. The property was originally founded as a Methodist campground, with folks arriving by horse and buggy and camping in tents under the shade of trees. The annual week of worship at Dempster Grove begins in mid-August each year. The campground consists of many small camps and cottages surrounding a central chapel, which has walls that open up by pulling on ropes, allowing plenty of fresh air to enter, especially on those hot August days.


After Church we had lunch in the Dining Hall.


When I was a child the "cabins" looked rather small and were surrounded by more trees. They have been spruced up in recent years.



Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger WandarArt.Stitch said...

Hi Priscilla,

Pray, and I think that Hurricane Irene, will not do much harm to people, watch out for yourself and your loved ones, compassion for all people who are going through this great medicine, because the element has no mercy!
In Holland this year also ugly summer, more cold, rain, ugly dark clouds, and around us a lot of water, the Netherlands is built on the water, also fills me medicine, but if you have enough forces to fight, important life, health, greet a very warm , and the positive thoughts I am with you,

many hugs............

Wanda

August 28, 2011 at 8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home